I'm hoping to write and self-publish a few books. If you'd like to be kept informed of new titles, please sign up to Terry's Books Bulletin by clicking the button below. Thank you.
I've been a Freelance writer and author since 1989. This page lists much of the work I’ve done and periodicals I’ve written for. I could write for your organisation too. If you don’t see anything here that seems like what you’re looking for, enquire anyway.
On this page
- Case studies, reports, vision statements, strategy documents and publicity.
- Manuals, how-to guides and course materials.
- Published articles.
- Published books.
- Self-published books.
Having worked for and with schools, Local Authorities and Government bodies, I’ve often been called upon to write documents for a number of purposes and for different audiences. such as:
- Briefings for Headteachers on different aspects of ICT.
- Case studies.
- How-to guides (please see below).
- ICT strategic planning documentation.
- ICT vision statements.
- Press releases.
- Project management reports, both interim and final.
- Staff handbook for e-learning team.
- Web copy for parents and the general public.
Something which is not obvious from this list is that on many occasions I have used the same information for different audiences. For example, a project I evaluated led to my creating the following documentation:
- Full project evaluation report for senior managers and staff.
- A one page executive summary of the report for interested professional parties.
- A case study for distributing to parents and publishing on a website.
I have written a number of manuals, how-to guides and course materials, including:
- A Practical Guide to Excel .
- A Practical Guide to Mail-merging with Word and Excel .
- A Practical Guide to Word .
- A Practical Guide to Write-On .
- Activities for Key Stage 3 ICT (for OU/Vital).
- An Introduction to Atari ST Word .
- An Introduction to the Framework for ICT Support .
- An introduction to Windows (for RM) .
- Blogs, wikis and other great tools (+ lesson plans and classroom activities) (for the Association of Citizenship Teachers) .
- Diploma Resources in London MLE -- QuickStart Guide.
- Every Child Matters: PowerPoint Resource Pack (for the Association of Citizenship Teachers) .
- Every Child Matters: What it means for the ICT teacher (later expanded into an ebook) .
- ICT for Trainee Teachers (for Post-Graduate Certificate in Education course) .
- Introduction to the London MLE.
- Key Stage 3 ICT Activities (for an online teachers’ course provided by the Open University) .
- Learning from inspections: primary schools .
- Learning from inspections: secondary schools .
- London MLE Diploma Rooms QuickStart Guide.
- Modelling with spreadsheets.
- Modelling with Word and Excel.
- The Framework for ICT support: A Briefing for Senior Leadership .
- The Framework for ICT support: A Quick Guide for Busy People .
- Using Excel Across the Curriculum.
- Using Excel in Numeracy.
- Various ICT-based courses and materials for both students and teachers.
I have written for many publications, including the following :
- Atari ST Magazine.
- Atari ST User.
- Educational Computing & Technology.
- Hewlett Packard (website).
- Hot Chalk (website).
- ICT Basic Skills Bulletin.
- ICT For Education.
- Information Technology in Developing Countries.
- Knowledge Quest.
- Managing Schools Today.
- Micro Computer Mart.
- Micro Mart.
- Naace (eg website).
- PC Format.
- PC Mart.
- PC Pro ICT Reviews Supplement
- PC Today.
- Rising Stars
- Rising Stars blog
- School CIO Advisor Blog
- Teach Primary
- Teach Secondary eg How to find the educational research you need, Book review: Learning with E's
- Technology & Learning (Blog), eg How elections might affect education technology in schools
- Technology & Learning Magazine.
- Technology & Learning (UK)
- The Guardian website, eg Bett review: touch screens key trend in schools ICT
- The ICT Co-ordinators’ Bulletin.
- The SEN Co-ordinators’ Bulletin.
- Times Education Supplement.
- Westminster Forum.
- Writers’ Page.
In addition I have had the following books published, and am a member of the UK’s
- A Guide to Desktop Publishing.
- A Practical Guide to Timeworks on the Atari ST.
- A Practical Guide to Timeworks Publisher 2 on the PC.
- A Practical Guide to Calamus Desktop Publishing on the Atari ST.
- Make Time with IT.
- Managing ICT.
- The Ami Pro Project Book.
- The Students’ Guide to Desktop Publishing.
- The Timeworks 3 Tutorial Book.
- This is DTP! A Young Person’s Guide.
In addition to the above, I have contributed a chapter on using macros for controlling events, in Pearson’s ICT for Life Book Series.
I have also self-published the following books:
- A Practical Guide to Display.
- Coming of Age: An Introduction to the NEW Worldwide Web (Editor).Creating a Technology-Rich School.
- Get Organized.
- Getting a Job as an ICT Manager in a School.
- Go on, bore ‘em: how to make ICT lessons excruciatingly dull.
- Management Information Systems in Schools -- Briefing Paper.
- Recruiting an ICT Manager.
- Using computers in classrooms.
- The Amazing Web 2.0 Projects Book (Editor).
I have three active blogs, and am a member of Publish2, an online organization for independent journalists. My blogs are:
- ICT in Education – for leaders, managers, teachers and users of educational ICT.
- My Writes – Creative writing, personal observations.
- Writers’ Know-how – Technology made easy for writers.